Thursday, March 7, 2013

DataStax Apache Cassandra Project-First Post

"Smart Gift App"


1 Executive Summary

SmartGift is an online web application that allows people create events (like birthday, anniversary), generate wish list and invite friends to contribute. It guarantees saving people’s time and targeting at people’s most desirable gift. At its core, it combines person’s true heart-desired gift with his friends’ collective intelligence and budget. Inspired by wedding registry and Kickstarter, SmartGift is a unique service that offloads the time-consuming and random-goal gift picking efforts and transforms it into an interactive and constructive process for both recipients and givers.

Our target clients are two parts: 13 to 24 year old young people. They are technical savvy and have rather tight budget in gifts. For them, entry-level luxury and electronics are most desired. SmartGift can allow his large number of friends and schoolmates contribute very few amount, $10 dollars virtually the price for an e-card to give her that cashmere Burberry scarf always on her mind or that ipad he longs for months. Also, SmartGift allows friends/family the people know him/her best to discuss, reference other similar/past events on SmartGift to come up with creative gifts even no wish list is generated. The other group is 26 to 35 year old working folks. They are too busy to track and remember people’s special date and preference. Also they are more personal and professional events with gift involved like baby shower, colleagues’ farewell party. SmartGift reminds them about events and makes event planning never easier.  

I propose to first present the free trial application among target clients and then offer premium service, charge by event or membership. When the product reaches certain maturity and users basis, it can also generate revenue by placing retailers’ ad and allowing them to make gift suggestions. I plan to launch our free trial/demo version first, posting advertisement on social network websites, discussion forums and high traffic blogs. Currently there are not so many similar applications on market. Most gift-related applications are e-card creation and event reminder.

The biggest risk is early stage marketing.  People are not used to fund-raising gift picking process except wedding registry. I am addressing this risk by producing easy to use user interface and friends-inviting Mechanism. For one single event created, there are not only one person uses our service, but a great part of his networks are also users. 

2 Business Model



2 Some words about me

Hello, guys, first of all, I'd like to thank you for hosting such great event for us. I have and will have a lot of funs in it!

My name is Yuan Vivien Wang. Now I am a 3rd year grad student at San Francisco State University majored in Software Engineering. Grown up as the only girl in school interested in programming at Jr high school, I have already dreamed to build up something to change people's life. I got two B.As from Peking University, China, one in Hindi and the other in Economics. Then I got a MA in theological studies at Harvard Divinity School. Later I was admitted to PHD in religion at Harvard. But it was then I realized that my passion for IT can not wait. I became a freelance web developer at the age of 18 and I felt true happiness at SF State in acquiring abilities I am passion about in achieving my dream. 

Entering SF State, I completed all the undergrad level class and went on as a researching assistant for Prof Yang Hui, whose major focus is data-mining and cloud computing.

Here is a link to my linkedin profile:
www.linkedin.com/pub/yuan-vivien-wang/12/156/4b0/

No comments:

Post a Comment